There are two churches that are inextricably entwined with the city of Leipzig: St. Nicholas and St. Thomas. Dating back more than 850 years, the St. Nicholas church has repeatedly played a key role in the history of the city. The St. Thomas church in the city centre is home to the renowned St. Thomas Boys Choir.
The first official Mass in Leipzig was held in the St. Nicholas church in 1538, which marked the beginning of the Reformation. The church continued to play a significant historic role throughout the course of the following centuries. In 1723, for example, Johann Sebastian Bach became the director musices of the city of Leipzig and staged premieres of many of his works in the St. Nicholas church. To this day, both this church and the St. Thomas church are important symbols of the city.
The St. Thomas church is home to the famous St. Thomas Boys Choir, which is Leipzig's oldest cultural institution. Concerts given by the choir are immensely popular. The St. Thomas church also became Johann Sebastian Bach's final resting place and is home to a huge Bach organ, installed in 2000.
Both churches are open to visitors.
Nikolaikirchhof 3, Thomaskirchhof 18